Monday, November 7, 2011

Footloose (2011)

If you were "of age" in the '80's, then you probably were a fan of the Kevin Bacon Footloose.  Teenage rebellion, the dancing, the music.  It was AWESOME.  I think I saw it in the theaters at least three of four times, but I specifically remember going with a group of girls in my shorthand class, with our teacher (she was young and cool...Ms. Bantz).  We were so jacked up at the end of the movie, we went out driving around trying to find a high school dance to crash.  Our needs were not met, and went home unrequited.  (*sigh*  those were the days)

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I am an apostle of the original version, so I was nervous about seeing the remake.  This, my friends, felt like a set up for failure.  But my daughter, who is 13, really wanted to see it (my son wouldn't have any part of it because he heard rumors there was hip-hop music and turned up his nose - he is a rock 'n roller). 

Well, as much as I hate to say it, it wasn't bad.  Some things were changed, but for the most part, the screenplay stayed true to the spirit of the story.  Bad boy from out-of-town, rebellious daughter of local minister trying to stake her claim after the death of her older brother, goobery but lovable sidekicks, an angry ex-boyfriend, lots of dancing, lots of drama, lots of teens versus adults.  Even some of the lines were word-for-word.   

   


But it was modernized too.  The teenagers were more "seasoned" (aren't they all?).  The dancing was definitely...dirtier?  There was a lot more skin.  And yes, the rumors were true, there was some hip hop, but also some country, as well as the pop stuff.  It was a nice mixture, and addressed various ethnicities, which we didn't get in the first movie.  They played music from the original Footloose and had some new material of their own.    


The dancing got you pumped up, Ren and Ariel were adorable, and there were some good messages.  The cast is relatively unknown, except for Andie MacDowell and Dennis Quaid, who played Ariel's parents, but they all did their job.  If you are an avid fan of the Kevin Bacon version, I maintain that you will not be disappointed.  


20 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I was gonna ignore this movie, Sandy...I, too, saw the original quite a few more times than I'd like to admit. But, you made me watch the trailer on youtube and now I just might have to check it out. ;)

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Glad to know this. Footloose has always been one of my favorite movies! But do you think we will now see seven degrees of the new guy?!!!

Trisha said...

I've been questioning whether or not to see it since I lurrrve the original. Oddly enough, it's the remaking of the music that I think I may object to the most. But you've definitely made me reconsider watching it.

Teacher/Learner said...

I wondered if they included any '80s music in the remake but I guess not :( I don't have anything against contemporary music but there was something special in the original soundtrack. And of course, Footloose is nothing without Kevin Bacon.

Marie Cloutier said...

I kind of really want to see this. Thanks for the review- it sounds like you liked it so I probably will too!

Alyce said...

I still haven't seen the original and I think at this point it wouldn't have the same magic as it once would have. I do remember hearing about how the audience at our local theater was dancing in the aisles and down on an unstable balcony (a part they weren't supposed to climb out on) and damaged the theater. I've always wanted to see a movie that induced the audience to all-out dancing at the end ever since hearing about that. :)

Zibilee said...

Footloose is one of my husband's favorite movies, and when I told him this one was coming out, he at first snubbed it, but then decided that he needed to see it. I think he will actually appreciate the differences between the two, and am eager to take him. Perhaps this will be our date night flick this weekend! Great and very balanced review, Sandy!

Kathleen said...

I'll definitely go see this one! Thanks for the great review.

caite said...

I was never a Footloose fan...maybe a bit too old when it came out. And i am against remakes on principle.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I would have ignored this remake, for fear of tainting my memories of the original. You've reassured me that it's OK to visit Footloose (2011) ... however, if they ever remake Dirty Dancing, I can't imagine it could stand up to the original!

Julie P. said...

I swear I bought Booking Daughter a copy of the original, but I can't find it anywhere.

bermudaonion said...

I've been leery of this one because of my love of the original. I may wait until this is on Netflix to see it.

Anonymous said...

But were there legwarmers???

Jenners said...

Well, I trust you. Frankly, I'm amazed it wasn't all that bad!

Beth F said...

Good to know -- I wasn't sure I was going to watch this. I like the original.

Serena said...

Like you I have trepidation going to see this one.

Melissa said...

I was going to stay away from the remake too. I love the original so much and didn't want to ruin it. But I'm thinking I MIGHT see it now.

Jenny said...

I was dreading this movie too do I'm super glad to hear how good it is!!

Heidenkind said...

I've never seen this movie--the original or the remake. I was totally out of it in the '80s. :p