Saturday, September 3, 2011

A little bit of Beth Kephart love...

I came to the party late, I admit.  For years, my bloggy friends have been singing the praises of Beth Kephart, but only recently have I started reading and falling in love with this amazing YA author.

I read "The Heart is Not a Size", then "Nothing But Ghosts", and "Dangerous Neighbors".  Now I'm a convert.  At some point, I know I must pillage my library of her entire backlist.  She has such a poetic voice, captures the young heart so perfectly, in so few words and pages.  Maximum impact, minimum time investment. 

When I heard that she had a new book coming out at the end of October, my heart skipped a beat.  Honestly, I don't even need to know what it is about, because Beth never disappoints.  But here is a synopsis:

Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock.

Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the “No Good.” One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that opens Sophie's eyes, giving her the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever. . .

The riveting stories of Emmy and Sophie—alternating narratives of loss, imprisonment, and freedom regained—escalate with breathless suspense toward an unforgettable climax.
So really, who would not want to read this?  I'm pre-ordering.  Are you?
      

12 comments:

Beth F said...

I have a copy!!!! Can't wait to read it, but I'm saving it until closer to release date.

Jenny said...

I've never read anything by her but keeping hearing her name!

Anonymous said...

I have only read Dangerous Neighbors, and I was kind of ambivalent towards it. Even so, I definitely want to read more from Kephart and I am excited to have this one on my kindle!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I kept thinking I got this at BEA, but it's not in my pile. Very sad!

bermudaonion said...

I love Kephart's gorgeous prose too. I hope to read this one soon.

Zibilee said...

This one sounds fantastic and like something that I would love to read, so I am sure that I will be picking it up at some point. Is there a chance that it will be at SIBA for you?

ds said...

She does write beautifully. So glad you are enjoying her work!

Kathleen said...

I still haven't read Beth K. but I know I will. I have The Heart is not a Size on my shelves, as we speak. This one sounds so good too!

Jenners said...

This description sucks you right in. I have to jump on the Beth Kephart bandwagon but I suppose I shall have to someday … everyone just loves her.

Unknown said...

I still haven't read any Beth Kephart - she doesn't seem to have the same following in the UK. All the bloggy love for her makes me think I should give her a try, but I worry I won't fall in love. Guess there is only one way to find out...

The1stdaughter said...

Yay! Love Beth and everything she writes! I'm certain you will absolutely love this book, it's one of my favorites this year!

PS...Congratulations on your BBAW Short List nomination today! :o)

Melissa said...

I've heard rave reviews of Kephart too and really need to pick up one of her books!