Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - Up, Up and Away

Today's topic from the Bumbles is all about flight.  Spring has finally sprung in the Boston area, and Molly and Andy spent their weekend at a kite festival that was a fundraiser for autism.  After a few failed attempts, they were able to get their kites off the ground, which caused them to muse on man's fascination with flight.  Here are some of my ideas:


1.  The Red Balloon - there is a chance you've never heard of this 1956 French short film, but do yourself a huge favor and rent it from Netflix.  The 30-minute film depicts a young boy and a red balloon with a mind of its own that follows him around town.  It is a hard plot to describe, but suffice it to say that is poignant and sweet, and would make the most callous adult reflect fondly on the innocence of youth.

2.  Castle in the Sky - most of you know I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki, and like all of his films, this one is pure magic.  The legend of a flying city, airships, pirates, and a brave young girl...one of the beauties of Miyazaki's movies is his visual imagery, his strong heroines, and his love of all things that fly whether it be castles or spirits.  If you haven't experienced one of his movies yet, you should give it a try.  My recommendation would be to start with "Spirited Away".

3.  The Aviator - excellent movie about the life of Howard Hughes, and is in the general neighborhood of when I decided there actually might be something to Leonardo DiCaprio.

4.  The Kite Runner - certainly flight isn't the main theme here; it is more about guilt, friendship and the Afghan history and culture.  But the symbol of the kite, which was a hobby nurtured by both boys in the story, was a beautiful representation of their lives. 

5.  United 93 - just thinking about this movie chills my blood, but that didn't stop me from watching it several times.  On the day we finally nailed Bin Laden, I think it is only appropriate we salute the brave men and women on this flight, for who this movie does justice.


Great topic don't you think?  This is one of those situations where my lists could go on, but I will spare you.  Which flight movies come to your mind?
  
 

13 comments:

Ana S. said...

Castle in the Sky was such a gorgeous movie. Up was fun, but this is something else. Agree with your recommendation of Spirited Away as an entry point. I love everything he's done but it remains my favourite.

Unknown said...

Wings. The silent movie about World War I pilots with flight sequences so exciting George Lucas copied them in the first Star Wars movie. And the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder flying around Metropolis. When we saw that back in the day, it blew us all away. I also love the flying bicycles in E.T.

Julie @ Read Handed said...

We watched The Red Balloon in high school French class. All I can remember is the kid running around saying "Ballon! Ballon!" Aviator is fantastic. I couldn't do United 93. It was too real for me and way too upsetting. My husband loves it (and any other 9/11 inspired movie or documentary), but I just can't watch them.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Oh my gosh, I have vivid memories of watching The Red Balloon in the second grade. We watched it through something on PBS and to this day whenever I see it I'm transported back to that classroom. Great list.

Zibilee said...

How about one that my husband and I were just talking about yesterday: Airplane. I still haven't seen it, but he says I must. I also had a long discussion about whether or not there were sequels, because I distinctly remember there being a lot of them out there. I am adding Castle in the Sky to my queue right now. Thanks!

Jo-Jo said...

I can't help but agree with you about United 93...and AMEN!

The first movie that came to my mind when I saw your title was the Disney Pixar movie...UP. lol Loved that one!

Alyce said...

This is a topic with a lot of options. I don't know why, but I thought of Memphis Belle, even though I haven't seen it in years.

kayerj said...

I've read "The Red Balloon" but never seen the film. In fact, I haven't seen any of these films. I'll have to look into them. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

rhapsodyinbooks said...

United 93 totally freaked me out as well!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I remember seeing United 93 in the theatre when it came out and just crying through half the movie.

Heidenkind said...

No Howl's Moving Castle?

ds said...

I adore "The Red Balloon"! My daughter just lent me a disc of Miazaki films (because I wanted to see "Princess Mononoke") and both "Spirited Away" and "Castle in the Sky" are on it. So I will definitely be following your advice. Thanks!

caite said...

you have me this week..not one here I have seen.